[PDFtalk] Porting to non-namespace Smalltalks

CH
christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com
Tue, Mar 1, 2022 6:08 PM

Hi all,

PDFtalk is a PDF library for VisualWorks[1]. The library has been ported
successfully to Gemstone[2].

Now, there is interest from companies in a port to Squeak and VA Smalltalk.

The project[3] has started and we are making good progress.

The first step: porting the Values package.

This is easy, because there are no namespace issues.

The next step is to implement class renamings so that namespaced classes can
be renamed to global prefixed names.

Then PDFtalk with all its components, except for the UI, can be ported.

The porting approach is different to the traditional way of loading and
fixing.

The import files for other Smalltalks are generated from VisualWorks where
the code is transformed by declarative rules.

The approach is documented in [4].

I set up a GitHub organization for this project[5]. There, the fileouts for
each dialect are published (Gemstone, Squeak and VA Smalltalk so far), so
that people without VisualWorks can work with the code in their Smalltalk.

Also, I record and explain all steps of the porting process for Squeak in
great detail[6], so that people can follow it.

I would like to invite Smalltalkers from all dialects to take part in this
project.

The code transformations for Squeak will be quite similar to the ones needed
for Pharo and Cuis.

Therefore, each port to one Smalltalk will help the port to other
Smalltalks.

Any takers?

Happy hacking,

            Christian

[1] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=start

[2] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalk4gemstone

[3] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout

[4] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=smalltalktransform

[5] https://github.com/PortingPDFtalk

[6] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=valuesportinglog

[...]
JF
James Foster
Tue, Mar 1, 2022 6:23 PM

Hi Christian,

I’m glad to hear that PDFtalk is getting such good exposure! I have a brief question about the VW port: Did you need to replace any base methods (using package overrides, not subclass overrides)?

James

On Mar 1, 2022, at 10:08 AM, christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com wrote:

[...]

[1] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=start https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=start
[2] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalk4gemstone https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalk4gemstone
[3] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout
[4] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=smalltalktransform https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=smalltalktransform
[5] https://github.com/PortingPDFtalk https://github.com/PortingPDFtalk
[6] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=valuesportinglog https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=valuesportinglog

Hi Christian, I’m glad to hear that PDFtalk is getting such good exposure! I have a brief question about the VW port: Did you need to replace any base methods (using package overrides, not subclass overrides)? James > On Mar 1, 2022, at 10:08 AM, christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com wrote: > > Hi all, > > PDFtalk is a PDF library for VisualWorks[1]. The library has been ported successfully to Gemstone[2]. > Now, there is interest from companies in a port to Squeak and VA Smalltalk. > > The project[3] has started and we are making good progress. > The first step: porting the Values package. > This is easy, because there are no namespace issues. > > The next step is to implement class renamings so that namespaced classes can be renamed to global prefixed names. > > Then PDFtalk with all its components, except for the UI, can be ported. > > The porting approach is different to the traditional way of loading and fixing. > The import files for other Smalltalks are generated from VisualWorks where the code is transformed by declarative rules. > The approach is documented in [4]. > > I set up a GitHub organization for this project[5]. There, the fileouts for each dialect are published (Gemstone, Squeak and VA Smalltalk so far), so that people without VisualWorks can work with the code in their Smalltalk. > > Also, I record and explain all steps of the porting process for Squeak in great detail[6], so that people can follow it. > > I would like to invite Smalltalkers from all dialects to take part in this project. > The code transformations for Squeak will be quite similar to the ones needed for Pharo and Cuis. > Therefore, each port to one Smalltalk will help the port to other Smalltalks. > > Any takers? > > Happy hacking, > Christian > > > [1] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=start <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=start> > [2] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalk4gemstone <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalk4gemstone> > [3] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout> > [4] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=smalltalktransform <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=smalltalktransform> > [5] https://github.com/PortingPDFtalk <https://github.com/PortingPDFtalk> > [6] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=valuesportinglog <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=valuesportinglog>
CH
christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com
Tue, Mar 1, 2022 6:40 PM

Hi James,

I am not aware that I override any system methods. That would change the behavior of the base system and that is not ok.

I do extend system classes though.

But maybe I don’t understand your question…

On Mar 1, 2022, at 10:08 AM, christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com mailto:christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com  wrote:

[...]

Hi James, I am not aware that I override any system methods. That would change the behavior of the base system and that is not ok. I do extend system classes though. But maybe I don’t understand your question… Christian Von: James Foster <smalltalk@jgfoster.net> Gesendet: Dienstag, 1. März 2022 19:23 An: Pharo Mailing List <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> Cc: ESUG Mailing list <esug-list@lists.esug.org> Betreff: [Pharo-users] Re: [PDFtalk] Porting to non-namespace Smalltalks Hi Christian, I’m glad to hear that PDFtalk is getting such good exposure! I have a brief question about the VW port: Did you need to replace any base methods (using package overrides, not subclass overrides)? James On Mar 1, 2022, at 10:08 AM, christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com <mailto:christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com> wrote: Hi all, PDFtalk is a PDF library for VisualWorks[1]. The library has been ported successfully to Gemstone[2]. Now, there is interest from companies in a port to Squeak and VA Smalltalk. The project[3] has started and we are making good progress. The first step: porting the Values package. This is easy, because there are no namespace issues. The next step is to implement class renamings so that namespaced classes can be renamed to global prefixed names. Then PDFtalk with all its components, except for the UI, can be ported. The porting approach is different to the traditional way of loading and fixing. The import files for other Smalltalks are generated from VisualWorks where the code is transformed by declarative rules. The approach is documented in [4]. I set up a GitHub organization for this project[5]. There, the fileouts for each dialect are published (Gemstone, Squeak and VA Smalltalk so far), so that people without VisualWorks can work with the code in their Smalltalk. Also, I record and explain all steps of the porting process for Squeak in great detail[6], so that people can follow it. I would like to invite Smalltalkers from all dialects to take part in this project. The code transformations for Squeak will be quite similar to the ones needed for Pharo and Cuis. Therefore, each port to one Smalltalk will help the port to other Smalltalks. Any takers? Happy hacking, Christian [1] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=start [2] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalk4gemstone [3] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout [4] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=smalltalktransform [5] https://github.com/PortingPDFtalk [6] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=valuesportinglog
JF
James Foster
Tue, Mar 1, 2022 7:01 PM

Hi Christian,

I think you are right; I just was curious.

Thanks,

James

Hi Christian, I think you are right; I just was curious. Thanks, James > On Mar 1, 2022, at 10:40 AM, <christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com> <christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com> wrote: > > Hi James, > > I am not aware that I override any system methods. That would change the behavior of the base system and that is not ok. > I do extend system classes though. > But maybe I don’t understand your question… > > Christian > > > Von: James Foster <smalltalk@jgfoster.net> > Gesendet: Dienstag, 1. März 2022 19:23 > An: Pharo Mailing List <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> > Cc: ESUG Mailing list <esug-list@lists.esug.org> > Betreff: [Pharo-users] Re: [PDFtalk] Porting to non-namespace Smalltalks > > Hi Christian, > > I’m glad to hear that PDFtalk is getting such good exposure! I have a brief question about the VW port: Did you need to replace any base methods (using package overrides, not subclass overrides)? > > James > > >> On Mar 1, 2022, at 10:08 AM, christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com <mailto:christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com> wrote: >> >> Hi all, >> >> PDFtalk is a PDF library for VisualWorks[1]. The library has been ported successfully to Gemstone[2]. >> Now, there is interest from companies in a port to Squeak and VA Smalltalk. >> >> The project[3] has started and we are making good progress. >> The first step: porting the Values package. >> This is easy, because there are no namespace issues. >> >> The next step is to implement class renamings so that namespaced classes can be renamed to global prefixed names. >> >> Then PDFtalk with all its components, except for the UI, can be ported. >> >> The porting approach is different to the traditional way of loading and fixing. >> The import files for other Smalltalks are generated from VisualWorks where the code is transformed by declarative rules. >> The approach is documented in [4]. >> >> I set up a GitHub organization for this project[5]. There, the fileouts for each dialect are published (Gemstone, Squeak and VA Smalltalk so far), so that people without VisualWorks can work with the code in their Smalltalk. >> >> Also, I record and explain all steps of the porting process for Squeak in great detail[6], so that people can follow it. >> >> I would like to invite Smalltalkers from all dialects to take part in this project. >> The code transformations for Squeak will be quite similar to the ones needed for Pharo and Cuis. >> Therefore, each port to one Smalltalk will help the port to other Smalltalks. >> >> Any takers? >> >> Happy hacking, >> Christian >> >> >> [1] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=start <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=start> >> [2] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalk4gemstone <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalk4gemstone> >> [3] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout> >> [4] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=smalltalktransform <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=smalltalktransform> >> [5] https://github.com/PortingPDFtalk <https://github.com/PortingPDFtalk> >> [6] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=valuesportinglog <https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=valuesportinglog> > > _______________________________________________ > Esug-list mailing list -- esug-list@lists.esug.org > To unsubscribe send an email to esug-list-leave@lists.esug.org