Re: [Pharo-users] Re: Re: [ANN] Soil release v1

SM
Sabine M
Wed, May 8, 2024 3:52 PM

I am always thinking of this movie when hearing „Soil“. Googling for it now, I see that it has another spelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Gesendet von Outlook für iOShttps://aka.ms/o0ukef

Von: Cody Sevier sevierit@gmail.com
Gesendet: Wednesday, May 8, 2024 5:43:24 PM
An: Any question about pharo is welcome pharo-users@lists.pharo.org
Cc: Norbert Hartl norbert@hartl.name; Dirk Nel dirkockertnel@gmail.com; Pharo Dev pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org; Tetaz, Jean-Pierre via Esug-list esug-list@lists.esug.org
Betreff: [Pharo-users] Re: [Esug-list] Re: [ANN] Soil release v1

Or soiling yourself, aka incontinence... Isn't English illogical fun!

Cody

On Wed, May 8, 2024, 10:41 AM Dale Henrichs <dale.henrichs@gemtalksystems.commailto:dale.henrichs@gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
To me as a non-native speaker it means: ground layer you can build/grow on

Haha, Soil can also be thought of as "ground up stone" :)

Dale

On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 7:13 AM Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.namemailto:norbert@hartl.name> wrote:

Am 06.05.2024 um 16:47 schrieb Dirk Nel <dirkockertnel@gmail.commailto:dirkockertnel@gmail.com>:

I'll definitely check it out..! and for those who are not in the know... what inspired the name? :)

  • I like the word
  • It has only four letters which qualifies as a class prefix
  • To me as a non-native speaker it means: ground layer you can build/grow on

Norbert

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 at 17:47, Tim Mackinnon tim@testit.works wrote:
That's really exciting news... appreciate you sharing it with the wider community (I know when you mentioned its existence a while back I went and watched the Esug recordings to get more info, and looked at some of the extensive test cases to get a feel on what it looked like - its neat).

Having multiple options for persisting data (from simple Fuel up to Soil and Glorp and Gemstone) is very useful.

Tim

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024, at 12:52 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
...we said at last ESUG that there will be a release soonish but as usual it doesn't go that fast.

But now we are very happy to announce that Soil has a first public release v1. So what is soil?

Soil is an object oriented database in pharohttp://pharo.org/. It is transaction based having ACID transactions. It has binary search capabilities with SkipList and BTree+ indexes. It aims to be a simple yet powerful database making it easy to develop with, easy to debug with, easy to inspect, ...

More details at https://github.com/ApptiveGrid/Soil

This release is still considered early stage because

  • although in ApptiveGrid there are over 4000 instances of it and there are other users there isn't a wider range of use cases, yet. So it is not fully battle tested. This just as reminder when you start compaining I need somewhere to point my finger to and say "I told you!" ;)
  • there are few things missing that you might expect like garbage collection, etc.

So but it is definetely usable and awaiting the brave ones of you to try.

Hopy you enjoy it!

Norbert & Marcus

I am always thinking of this movie when hearing „Soil“. Googling for it now, I see that it has another spelling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green Gesendet von Outlook für iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef> ________________________________ Von: Cody Sevier <sevierit@gmail.com> Gesendet: Wednesday, May 8, 2024 5:43:24 PM An: Any question about pharo is welcome <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> Cc: Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name>; Dirk Nel <dirkockertnel@gmail.com>; Pharo Dev <pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org>; Tetaz, Jean-Pierre via Esug-list <esug-list@lists.esug.org> Betreff: [Pharo-users] Re: [Esug-list] Re: [ANN] Soil release v1 Or soiling yourself, aka incontinence... Isn't English illogical fun! Cody On Wed, May 8, 2024, 10:41 AM Dale Henrichs <dale.henrichs@gemtalksystems.com<mailto:dale.henrichs@gemtalksystems.com>> wrote: To me as a non-native speaker it means: ground layer you can build/grow on Haha, Soil can also be thought of as "ground up stone" :) Dale On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 7:13 AM Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name<mailto:norbert@hartl.name>> wrote: Am 06.05.2024 um 16:47 schrieb Dirk Nel <dirkockertnel@gmail.com<mailto:dirkockertnel@gmail.com>>: I'll definitely check it out..! and for those who are not in the know... what inspired the name? :) - I like the word - It has only four letters which qualifies as a class prefix - To me as a non-native speaker it means: ground layer you can build/grow on Norbert On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 at 17:47, Tim Mackinnon <tim@testit.works> wrote: That's really exciting news... appreciate you sharing it with the wider community (I know when you mentioned its existence a while back I went and watched the Esug recordings to get more info, and looked at some of the extensive test cases to get a feel on what it looked like - its neat). Having multiple options for persisting data (from simple Fuel up to Soil and Glorp and Gemstone) is very useful. Tim On Wed, 24 Apr 2024, at 12:52 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote: ...we said at last ESUG that there will be a release soonish but as usual it doesn't go that fast. But now we are very happy to announce that Soil has a first public release v1. So what is soil? Soil is an object oriented database in pharo<http://pharo.org/>. It is transaction based having ACID transactions. It has binary search capabilities with SkipList and BTree+ indexes. It aims to be a simple yet powerful database making it easy to develop with, easy to debug with, easy to inspect, ... More details at https://github.com/ApptiveGrid/Soil This release is still considered early stage because * although in ApptiveGrid there are over 4000 instances of it and there are other users there isn't a wider range of use cases, yet. So it is not fully battle tested. This just as reminder when you start compaining I need somewhere to point my finger to and say "I told you!" ;) * there are few things missing that you might expect like garbage collection, etc. So but it is definetely usable and awaiting the brave ones of you to try. Hopy you enjoy it! Norbert & Marcus _______________________________________________ Esug-list mailing list -- esug-list@lists.esug.org<mailto:esug-list@lists.esug.org> To unsubscribe send an email to esug-list-leave@lists.esug.org<mailto:esug-list-leave@lists.esug.org> _______________________________________________ Esug-list mailing list -- esug-list@lists.esug.org<mailto:esug-list@lists.esug.org> To unsubscribe send an email to esug-list-leave@lists.esug.org<mailto:esug-list-leave@lists.esug.org> _______________________________________________ Esug-list mailing list -- esug-list@lists.esug.org<mailto:esug-list@lists.esug.org> To unsubscribe send an email to esug-list-leave@lists.esug.org<mailto:esug-list-leave@lists.esug.org>