Re: [Esug-list] [vwnc] Tree Table view

SK
Steven Kelly
Fri, Apr 3, 2020 10:42 AM

Take a look at the Aragon tree view, which can do tables too
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: mark pirogovsky [mailto:mpirogovsky@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:31 PM
To: vwnc@cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: [vwnc] [Esug-list] Tree Table view

Hello all.
Hope everybody is staying healthy.

UI question:

In VW we have a tree view and a table( or dataset ) view.
Does anybody know an easy way to have a tree view which can show more
than one data fields like a table row?

Thanks,

Mark Pirogovsky

Take a look at the Aragon tree view, which can do tables too Steve > -----Original Message----- > From: mark pirogovsky [mailto:mpirogovsky@aol.com] > Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:31 PM > To: vwnc@cs.uiuc.edu > Cc: ESUG Mailing list > Subject: [vwnc] [Esug-list] Tree Table view > > Hello all. > Hope everybody is staying healthy. > > UI question: > > In VW we have a tree view and a table( or dataset ) view. > Does anybody know an easy way to have a tree view which can show more > than one data fields like a table row? > > Thanks, > -- > Mark Pirogovsky > > >
MM
Maarten Mostert
Fri, Apr 3, 2020 1:08 PM

I developped the NextDataset of which some version is available in the public store;
It is in use by some 45000 users worldwide (making it probably the most popular used smalltalk dataset in history). You can still see the example and find the running thing on the windows store https://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/p/stakepoint-projects/9nblggh5lnxq?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab.
It has a real tree column has full dag and drop support as well custimizable dropdown canvasses (you can put a tabcontrol under a cells menu button).
It will probably need some tweeking to get to work on the last VW version as extraction from my code was not 100% perfect.
It is without any doubt however the best enhancement to the original dataset merging both the treeView and the dataset in what they were certainly designed for from their origins many decades ago before being abandonned due to their complexity.
As I managed to find the original logic, it contains very little code (probably less then hundred lines) and 90% of the code in there is just to subclass things for maintenance.
It would obviously be nice if these very few lines (about a year of work) would be a part of the real product, but then you would need to convince Arden and Susan for this …. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Maarten

PS.  As for the Aragon thing I would say forget it, it's a completely different design and imho maintenance would be very expensive.

On 3 Apr 2020, at 12:42, Steven Kelly stevek@metacase.com wrote:

Take a look at the Aragon tree view, which can do tables too
Steve

In VW we have a tree view and a table( or dataset ) view.
Does anybody know an easy way to have a tree view which can show more
than one data fields like a table row?

Thanks,

Mark Pirogovsky

I developped the NextDataset of which some version is available in the public store; It is in use by some 45000 users worldwide (making it probably the most popular used smalltalk dataset in history). You can still see the example and find the running thing on the windows store <https://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/p/stakepoint-projects/9nblggh5lnxq?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab>. It has a real tree column has full dag and drop support as well custimizable dropdown canvasses (you can put a tabcontrol under a cells menu button). It will probably need some tweeking to get to work on the last VW version as extraction from my code was not 100% perfect. It is without any doubt however the best enhancement to the original dataset merging both the treeView and the dataset in what they were certainly designed for from their origins many decades ago before being abandonned due to their complexity. As I managed to find the original logic, it contains very little code (probably less then hundred lines) and 90% of the code in there is just to subclass things for maintenance. It would obviously be nice if these very few lines (about a year of work) would be a part of the real product, but then you would need to convince Arden and Susan for this …. 🤷‍♂️ Cheers, Maarten PS. As for the Aragon thing I would say forget it, it's a completely different design and imho maintenance would be very expensive. > On 3 Apr 2020, at 12:42, Steven Kelly <stevek@metacase.com> wrote: > > Take a look at the Aragon tree view, which can do tables too > Steve > >> -----Original Message----- >> From: mark pirogovsky [mailto:mpirogovsky@aol.com] >> Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:31 PM >> To: vwnc@cs.uiuc.edu >> Cc: ESUG Mailing list >> Subject: [vwnc] [Esug-list] Tree Table view >> >> Hello all. >> Hope everybody is staying healthy. >> >> UI question: >> >> In VW we have a tree view and a table( or dataset ) view. >> Does anybody know an easy way to have a tree view which can show more >> than one data fields like a table row? >> >> Thanks, >> -- >> Mark Pirogovsky >> >> >> > > > _______________________________________________ > Esug-list mailing list > Esug-list@lists.esug.org > http://lists.esug.org/mailman/listinfo/esug-list_lists.esug.org