[Esug-list] [SPAM] Re: Concurrency Best Practices + Tests

Nowak, Helge HNowak at cincom.com
Tue Sep 10 09:51:29 EDT 2019

Dear Noury,

I didn’t had the time to do a thorough web search. You certainly did. I found several references that look very promising. Mny of them were concerning Java and OS threads. Othes are about Erlang (https://mariachris.github.io/Pubs/ERLANG-2011.pdf ). I think not only the concurrency problem but also the base technology matters. I couldn’t find anything about Smalltalk yet. So you are probably conquering new land.

Here is a quote from the preface of “Test Driven Development: By Example” from 2003 by Kent Beck: “There certainly are programming tasks that can’t be driven solely by tests (or, at least not yet). Security and concurrency, for example, are two topics where TDD is insufficient to mechanically demonstrate that the goals of the software has been met.” “Subtle concurrency problems can’t be reliably duplicated by running the code.”

Good luck! I am looking forward to your findings.

Helge

Helge Nowak
Cincom Smalltalk Technical Account Manager
[http://internal.cincom.com/signature/logo.png]<http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/>
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Humboldtstraße 3
60318 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY
office
mobile

website
email
+49 89 89 66 44 94
+49 172 74 00 402

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com
hnowak at cincom.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero. -- Albert Einstein

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Donald E. Vick
oHG mit Sitz/based in Frankfurt am Main (Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRA 50297)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069)