[Esug-list] Concurrency Best Practices + Tests

Karsten Kusche karsten at heeg.de
Thu Sep 5 04:27:50 EDT 2019

Precisely my thinking! try to avoid concurrency as much as possible and if you _really_ have to use it, try a queue approach.

Georg Heeg eK
Wallstraße 22
06366 Köthen

Tel.: 03496/214328
FAX: 03496/214712
Amtsgericht Dortmund HRA 12812

Am 5. September 2019 um 09:34:25, Tim Mackinnon (tim at testit.works<mailto:tim at testit.works>) schrieb:

Not to sound flippant - but do everything you can to limit where you use concurrency (and if possible, not at all). It adds lots of complication that often isn’t necessary.

Where you do need it, queue results or commands and then have workers to process those - workers, queues and commands put you back into easily testable territory.

Then you are left with the concurrent bit - hopefully now quite tiny and specific, which you you can normally blast and test if you have concurrency hole - but in the realms of can it queue things up in an orderly fashion and dequeue them as well. Deep code inspection on this is also helpful (albeit manual).

Tim

Sent from my iPhone