[Esug-list] Concurrency Best Practices + Tests

Tim Mackinnon tim at testit.works
Thu Sep 5 03:35:22 EDT 2019

Not to sound flippant - but do everything you can to limit where you use concurrency (and if possible, not at all). It adds lots of complication that often isn’t necessary.

Where you do need it, queue results or commands and then have workers to process those - workers, queues and commands put you back into easily testable territory.

Then you are left with the concurrent bit - hopefully now quite tiny and specific, which you you can normally blast and test if you have concurrency hole - but in the realms of can it queue things up in an orderly fashion and dequeue them as well. Deep code inspection on this is also helpful (albeit manual).

Tim

Sent from my iPhone