[Esug-list] Glorp/Seaside experience exchange on- or offline, anybody?

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Fri Sep 29 15:51:55 EDT 2017

Hi guys

We (the pharo team) are really interested. This is why the consortium invested in a documentation and this is why I spent time editing it
it is now available in the booklet collection available at http://books.pharo.org
This is also we paid to get the Garage library.

Remember that we are interested in fostering business :).

Please please if you write some docs let me know and we can integrate them in the Glorp booklet.

I would like to know
	- how to connect Glorp and Magritte (I’m revisiting the Magritte tutorial and soon the implementation)
	- how to could we have a simple CRUD on top of Glorp/Magritte
	- how can we reduce the verbosity of Glorp
	- Can we have better tooling?

If people want to come to lille we have pay the beers and also host event?

I would like to migrate the Seaside online book into an open-source pillar version (but I have another book on the grill and many things).
We should continue to maintain the Seaside documentation and grow it.

Stef

> On 28 Sep 2017, at 08:56, jtuchel at objektfabrik.de wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>

> since nobody at ESUG seemed to be interested in a Glorp/Seaside BOF as I suggested, I try something new now ;-)
> Glorp is a great tool for OR mapping and works very well. There is good introductory material, even if it is hard to find.

Where is it?
Because on Pharo it is super simple: http://books.pharo.org

> But when it comes to real world use, there are many questions to be answered like
>
> how to handle transactions, mementos, units of work and that stuff, especially in a multi-user environment like a Seaside based web app
> how to map more complicated things, like polymorphic joins, embedded objects etc.
> what if an image slows down gradually when a user has been working for hours, almsot coming to a standstill. How to find out if Glorp or your use of it is the problem? What can you do then?
> Is my use of transactions correct or will I face problems
> None of these are easy questions and maybe there are many possible answers to them, But finding them on your own can be hard and take a lot of time. It can even be a risk to your business.
> There is the Glorp group, but it's not actually in heavy use and sometimes it is hard to write down a problem in a few lines. Explaining the whole thing sometimes would make for loooong messages that probably nobody ever reads, esp. if the poster's english isn't brilliant.
> So what I'm looking for is ways to find and meet people who also use Glorp (or any other ORM in Smalltalk) and would be interested in discussing stuff and maybe answer questions. Something like a Glorp users group.
>
> The best thing to exchange ideas is probably to meet face to face and carry your laptop with you. So if anybody in Southern Germany,       Eastern France, Northern Switzerland would be interested in such a meeting, please let me know and I am more than interested in setting something up.
> The second best is probably some sort of online conference call. Maybe even on a regular basis.
>
> Please let me know if you'd be interested.
>

> Joachim

Stéphane Ducasse
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
http://www.synectique.eu / http://www.pharo.org