[Esug-list] "Pharo is Smalltalk inspired"

Reinout Heeck reinout at soops.nl
Thu Jul 31 13:17:16 EDT 2014

On 7/31/2014 3:56 PM, James Foster wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2014, at 5:26 AM, Reinout Heeck <reinout at soops.nl> wrote:
>
>> The problem with the Smalltalk community is that it holds itself back.
>> For example there are no Smalltalks with a decent namespace implementation (although there was Dave Simmons' S# for a while).
> In what way does GemStone/S not have “a decent namespace implementation”?

It's been ages since I worked with Gemstone, so the following may be way
off.
What I recall is that Gemstone allows per-session bindings for global
names but only 'once' for all the code, IOW I cannot do visibility
management with it (have 'Array' mean one thing in one level of
abstraction (=package) and another thing in another level of abstraction
in the same session).
So it feels like there is one namespace, not multiple. (and it does not
do selector namespaces if memory serves).

>> Seeing that Pharo and Squeak are still producing browser framework after browser framework
> Have you seen TODE (https://code.google.com/p/tode/ and https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode)?

No, so I just watched the video and it made me cringe: here we have one
of the very early Smalltalk talents *still* busy with implementing the
browser, still concerning himself with combating window clutter, still
biding his time with extracting code from the UI to make tool
interaction and the MOP accessible to ad-hock scripting.

It is a poignant example of what I meant.

Compare his browser demo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4LcZ4_1Yic)
that shows us how to interact with code with less mouse clicks with Bret
Victors browser demo (http://vimeo.com/36579366) that shows tools to
discover new ideas.

-