[Esug-list] "Pharo is Smalltalk inspired"

Helge Nowak hknowak at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 31 11:29:12 EDT 2014

Dear Stef and Doru,

what Doru is saying seems contradictory to what Stef does (or I do not understand one, or the both of you correctly):

Doru says: "Pharo is not Smalltalk. Pharo is Smalltalk-inspired."

Whereas Stef says "Pharo is to reinvent Smalltalk" and "I prefer that my students find a job in “Smalltalk”". From which I take that Stef sees himself and Pharo as part of the Smalltalk community. Something I had hoped to hear ;-)

I am with Kent Pitman: "Smalltalk" is not technically defined but by the (sub-)communities and their values. The development of Smalltalk will never stop, each dialect may take its own path yet it will stay "Smalltalk" regardless of what you name it. Only if one thinks that being part of the Smalltalk community doesn't serve him/her well he/she will leave it. I don't see how Pharo and its community did a departure from the Smalltalk values and its overall community. And I hope this will stay that way.

Cheers
Helge