[Esug-list] "Pharo is Smalltalk inspired"

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Thu Jul 31 07:22:43 EDT 2014

On 31 Jul 2014, at 13:09, Helge Nowak <hknowak at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Dear Johan,
>
> I think there is a common understanding of what Smalltalk is and what is not: Ruby, Java and many others ARE Smalltalk inspired. Up to now I considered all Smalltalks that carry that term and also Squeak and the Pharo fork as "true" Smalltalks.

Squeak definitly never had that goal. When I discovered it it was explicitly stated that is was “Work in progress based on Smalltalk 80 with which it is still reasonably compatible”.

> By Doru's words he considers Pharo more in the "inspired, non-Smalltalk" corner. That is ok, yet has consequences.

Yes, the freedom to do things that are not in all the other Smalltalks already. Not because these are “not Smalltalk”, only because they where not there in the past, even though maybe they
should have.

	Marcus