[Esug-list] "Pharo is Smalltalk inspired"

Helge Nowak hknowak at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 31 07:09:47 EDT 2014

Dear Johan,

I think there is a common understanding of what Smalltalk is and what is not: Ruby, Java and many others ARE Smalltalk inspired. Up to now I considered all Smalltalks that carry that term and also Squeak and the Pharo fork as "true" Smalltalks.
By Doru's words he considers Pharo more in the "inspired, non-Smalltalk" corner. That is ok, yet has consequences. One of those is that in this light Pharo is leaving the Smalltalk community. Whether you reckon the word "divorce" for that departure aggressive is your personal feeling. Divorce is a usual term describing the splitting of a former whole. I don't find it aggressive.

Smalltalk as a technology, philosophy and community has always evolved - to the future (to what else?). Claiming that one leaves a community in emphasizing that one wants to move to the future
silently implies that that community didn't move to the future, i. e.
stays as is. I don't think that this is a correct observation with regards to Smalltalk. If it was intended to say that Pharo wants to move away from some Smalltalk
concept (technical or non-technical) it should be said so, and whith regards to which concept and
into what differing direction. There are many ways to the future. No problem with that. Smalltalk will walk its path.

Cheers
Helge

„Wege entstehen dadurch, dass man sie geht.“, Franz Kafka