[Esug-list] "Pharo is Smalltalk inspired"

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 07:00:58 EDT 2014

>  Dear Pharoers,
>
> I stumbled upon Doru’s (BTW excellent, as usual) presentation on Live
> Objects at NDC 2014. In there he states “Pharo is Smalltalk inspired. … we
> want to point ourselves that we are Smalltalk inspired because we want to
> move towards the future”. This implies three things:
>
>    1. Pharo is NOT Smalltalk
>    2. All Smalltalks are not moving towards the future
>    3. The Pharo community wants to get divorced from the community that
>    gave them birth
>

> I am wondering whether this is indeed the official position of the Pharo
> community? And how the Smalltalkers think about it.

Well, I tried to open a smalltalk-80 image recently and it didn't work on
the Pharo VM.
In addition, it seems that recent Pharo images cannot run on the Xerox-D
microcoded machines.

So I think clearly Pharo is not Smalltalk for obvious backward
compatibility issues.

I love mails about this topic it really makes my day each time :-).

Clement