[Esug-list] "Pharo is Smalltalk inspired"

Johan Fabry jfabry at dcc.uchile.cl
Thu Jul 31 06:24:09 EDT 2014

On Jul 31, 2014, at 6:05 AM, Helge Nowak <hknowak at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Dear Pharoers,
>
> I stumbled upon Doru’s (BTW excellent, as usual) presentation on Live Objects at NDC 2014. In there he states “Pharo is Smalltalk inspired. … we want to point ourselves that we are Smalltalk inspired because we want to move towards the future”. This implies three things:
> 	• Pharo is NOT Smalltalk

Well, the question may also be: what IS Smalltalk? The ANSI Standard? ST-80? Whose implementation IS Smalltalk in that case? I think many current implementations may safely say that they are Smalltalk-inpired.

> 	• All Smalltalks are not moving towards the future

I think you are overgeneralizing. Doru is saying that Pharo is not sticking to (let’s say) the historical concept of Smalltalk. Sure, you may imply from that that some Smalltalks ARE sticking to that concept. But IMO it is not valid to conclude that he is saying that ALL of them are like that.

> 	• The Pharo community wants to get divorced from the community that gave them birth

I don’t follow your reasoning. Divorce is a very strong and aggressive statement. I don’t see that from what Doru is saying. Could you provide more detail for your train of thought?

> I am wondering whether this is indeed the official position of the Pharo community? And how the Smalltalkers think about it.

Just my 0.02EUR ...

PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile