[Esug-list] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude

Luc Fabresse luc.fabresse at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 11:26:35 EST 2014

Hi all,

------------
FACTS

As you all know, I am the ESUG treasurer.
So please find the numbers attached for the ESUG support of GSOC projects
in 2013.

ESUG sponsored 3 "extra-GSOC" meaning extra slots not accepted by Google.
In the file it is: Alejandro Infante, Pablo Estefo and Benjamin Arezki.

All in all we paid:
- 3695EUR (~5000USD at that time i.e. same cost as a regular GSOC) each
projects
- Serge trip to Mentor summit

And we received 5552EUR from Google

so yes we lost ~6582EUR
That is easy 13*500 USD would only cover 1 plain extra-Gsoc and we
sponsorized 3.

I also think that it is important to send someone to the GSoc mentor summit
because it participates to the fact that Google recognizes ESUG ang gives
slots the next year.

It is alos important to note dates.
ESUG paid first and then has been refund by Google.
It would not be possible to do it without ESUG.

------------
FROM HERE, MY POINT OF VIEW ON THIS STORY:

As some of you know, I doing the ESUG treasury stuff on my *own* time and
it takes a lot!
I am doing it because I strongly believe that Smalltalk (all falvors!) is a
really great language that should be more widespread.

I also completely open to discussions.
The ESUG board can also explain its actions and even money status.
I can do errors too.
So if Janko wants some details on GSOC related money, JUST ASK!

I cannot admit that:

- Janko wrote about some money accusation. This is directly directed
against the treasurer so me.
And honestly, just reading again that I am biased and that I hide or steal
money make me think that I should better quit.

- Janko asked for apologies! what is that? even if I would have done a
mistake (and ESUG did not loose money), YOU STILL MUST THANK ME for DOING
THIS BORING TASK!  and then I can correct mistakes if any

- People wants an answer fast, this conversation started yesterday and I am
spending my week-end with my kids

I am really fed up with this kind of attitude.
Stop accuse, better ask, discuss and we will solve the problems together if
any.
But I think it will never happen...

#Luc
The disgusted Treasurer of ESUG who will finish his week-end in bad mood