[Esug-list] Spreading Smalltalk

Geert Claes geert.wl.claes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 10:26:44 EDT 2011

Niall Ross-2 wrote:

> b) point at Smalltalk's maturity

I am not sure if "Smalltalk's maturity" is the right choice of words ...
simply because those people who do happen to know about Smalltalk already
tend to imagine Smalltalkers to be old bearded men hanging on to their
outdated language :)

Niall Ross-2 wrote:

> c) point at another value of Smalltalk - exceptionally easy to learn, easy
> to read.  It was designed to be so from the start, and it is so.

I have to agree that the language and its syntax are easy and fast to learn
... but the typical Smalltalk IDE is probably not intuitive or inviting
enough.

Following Simon's theory again, those who are intrigued by the "why" and
decide to explore the "how" by having a look at Smalltalk should have an
instant wow-factor feeling ... unfortunately this wow-factor is hidden away
further down in the "what"