[Esug-list] Spreading Smalltalk

Niall Ross nfr at bigwig.net
Fri Apr 8 09:45:45 EDT 2011

Dear Sean, Geert et al,
    my first attempt.

1) Why:

For coders, it's fun;  Smalltalk is like a drug that you get addictd
to.  And why is that?  It's because Smalltalk is productive and
forgiving;  productive _because_ it is forgiving.

 - Statically-typed languages say:  assume you are clever.  This is an
IDE for coders who are clever enought to be right first time.

 - Smalltalk says:  assume you have a lot to learn.  This is an IDE for
coders who are often wrong first time around.

So, why?  Because you will succeed in the real world, where you and your
colleagues always have a lot to learn about every new task, not only in
the imaginary world where flawless geeks grasp their work in a flash.

2) How:  see my Value of Smalltalk talk in

http://www.esug.org/data/ReportsFromNiallRoss/CSUGFrankfurtReport.pdf

In brief:

 - The basic rule about optimisation - Do it later!

 - Static-typing:  a gigantic, constraining, up-front optimisation

3) What:  see my lists at the start of the ESUG 2011 conference page or
on the poster

(Thought:  are these therefore too focussed on the what, not the why and
how?  I will review.  Opinions welcome.)

The above is in relation to mainstream languages.  If I were discussing
Smalltalk with a Rubyist I would

a) be more respectiful of their language

b) point at Smalltalk's maturity

c) point at another value of Smalltalk - exceptionally easy to learn,
easy to read.  It was designed to be so from the start, and it is so.
That's a why in relation to other dynamic languages.  An aspect of the
how is described in my old pages

http://www.desk.org:8080/CampSmalltalk/new%20code%20syntax

             Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross