Cancelling ESUG 2020 :(

SD
Stéphane Ducasse
Mon, May 18, 2020 8:23 AM

Dear happy smalltalking people,

After several analyses the board in concertation with the local organisers decided to cancel ESUG in 2020.
It was not an easy decision but we believe it has to be taken.
We plan to organise it next year in the same place.

For IWST the PC chair will announce some dates because we would like to run it.

S. on the behalf of the ESUG board.

I hope that you and your friends and family are safe.

Stéphane Ducasse
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Dear happy smalltalking people, After several analyses the board in concertation with the local organisers decided to cancel ESUG in 2020. It was not an easy decision but we believe it has to be taken. We plan to organise it next year in the same place. For IWST the PC chair will announce some dates because we would like to run it. S. on the behalf of the ESUG board. I hope that you and your friends and family are safe. -------------------------------------------- Stéphane Ducasse http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org 03 59 35 87 52 Assistant: Julie Jonas FAX 03 59 57 78 50 TEL 03 59 35 86 16 S. Ducasse - Inria 40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650 France
jtuchel@objektfabrik.de
Mon, May 18, 2020 8:37 AM

Stef and everybody involved in this decision,

I think you made the right decision and of course I hope to meet you
guys in Serbia in good health and mood next year.

It was tough deciding what to do if ESUG will happen this year. Do I
want to fly? Is it wise to risk bringing Corona there or back home to my
family? Is it worth or is it better staying at home? I am glad this
decision doesn't have to be taken any more.

To the local organizers: don't worry, I am sure it will be an even
happier and greater party in 2021 when we all meet again (given the
overall situation allows for it).
The opportunity to meet a bunch of old and new Smalltalking friends will
be missed in any case...

Joachim

Am 18.05.20 um 10:23 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:

Dear happy smalltalking people,

After several analyses the board in concertation with the local
organisers decided to cancel ESUG in 2020.
It was not an easy decision but we believe it has to be taken.
We plan to organise it next year in the same place.

For IWST the PC chair will announce some dates because we would like
to run it.

S. on the behalf of the ESUG board.

I hope that you and your friends and family are safe.

Stéphane Ducasse
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Esug-list mailing list
Esug-list@lists.esug.org

--

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:jtuchel@objektfabrik.de
Fliederweg 1                        http://www.objektfabrik.de

Stef and everybody involved in this decision, I think you made the right decision and of course I hope to meet you guys in Serbia in good health and mood next year. It was tough deciding what to do if ESUG will happen this year. Do I want to fly? Is it wise to risk bringing Corona there or back home to my family? Is it worth or is it better staying at home? I am glad this decision doesn't have to be taken any more. To the local organizers: don't worry, I am sure it will be an even happier and greater party in 2021 when we all meet again (given the overall situation allows for it). The opportunity to meet a bunch of old and new Smalltalking friends will be missed in any case... Joachim Am 18.05.20 um 10:23 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse: > Dear happy smalltalking people, > > After several analyses the board in concertation with the local > organisers decided to cancel ESUG in 2020. > It was not an easy decision but we believe it has to be taken. > We plan to organise it next year in the same place. > > For IWST the PC chair will announce some dates because we would like > to run it. > > S. on the behalf of the ESUG board. > > I hope that you and your friends and family are safe. > > -------------------------------------------- > Stéphane Ducasse > http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org > 03 59 35 87 52 > Assistant: Julie Jonas > FAX 03 59 57 78 50 > TEL 03 59 35 86 16 > S. Ducasse - Inria > 40, avenue Halley, > Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza > Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650 > France > > > _______________________________________________ > Esug-list mailing list > Esug-list@lists.esug.org > http://lists.esug.org/mailman/listinfo/esug-list_lists.esug.org -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel mailto:jtuchel@objektfabrik.de Fliederweg 1 http://www.objektfabrik.de D-71640 Ludwigsburg http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0 Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1
NH
Nowak, Helge
Mon, May 18, 2020 10:34 AM

Dear all,

I agree, cancelling this year’s ESUG is the right thing to do. Let’s hope for next year.

Many thanks to everyone for your efforts invested so far!
Helge

Helge Nowak
Cincom Smalltalk Technical Account Manager
[http://internal.cincom.com/signature/logo.png]http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Humboldtstraße 3
60318 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY
office
mobile

website
email
+49 89 89 66 44 94
+49 172 74 00 402

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com
hnowak@cincom.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero. -- Albert Einstein

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Donald E. Vick
oHG mit Sitz/based in Frankfurt am Main (Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRA 50297)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069)

This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the addressee named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited, please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Esug-list@lists.esug.orgmailto:Esug-list@lists.esug.org

--

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:jtuchel@objektfabrik.de

Fliederweg 1                        http://www.objektfabrik.de

D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com

Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0        Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Dear all, I agree, cancelling this year’s ESUG is the right thing to do. Let’s hope for next year. Many thanks to everyone for your efforts invested so far! Helge Helge Nowak Cincom Smalltalk Technical Account Manager [http://internal.cincom.com/signature/logo.png]<http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/> Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG Humboldtstraße 3 60318 Frankfurt am Main GERMANY office mobile website email +49 89 89 66 44 94 +49 172 74 00 402 http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com hnowak@cincom.com A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero. -- Albert Einstein Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Donald E. Vick oHG mit Sitz/based in Frankfurt am Main (Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRA 50297) Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent: Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069) --- CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT --- This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the addressee named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited, please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated. Von: Esug-list <esug-list-bounces@lists.esug.org> Im Auftrag von jtuchel@objektfabrik.de Gesendet: Montag, 18. Mai 2020 10:37 An: esug-list@lists.esug.org Betreff: Re: [Esug-list] Cancelling ESUG 2020 :( Stef and everybody involved in this decision, I think you made the right decision and of course I hope to meet you guys in Serbia in good health and mood next year. It was tough deciding what to do if ESUG will happen this year. Do I want to fly? Is it wise to risk bringing Corona there or back home to my family? Is it worth or is it better staying at home? I am glad this decision doesn't have to be taken any more. To the local organizers: don't worry, I am sure it will be an even happier and greater party in 2021 when we all meet again (given the overall situation allows for it). The opportunity to meet a bunch of old and new Smalltalking friends will be missed in any case... Joachim Am 18.05.20 um 10:23 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse: Dear happy smalltalking people, After several analyses the board in concertation with the local organisers decided to cancel ESUG in 2020. It was not an easy decision but we believe it has to be taken. We plan to organise it next year in the same place. For IWST the PC chair will announce some dates because we would like to run it. S. on the behalf of the ESUG board. I hope that you and your friends and family are safe. -------------------------------------------- Stéphane Ducasse http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org 03 59 35 87 52 Assistant: Julie Jonas FAX 03 59 57 78 50 TEL 03 59 35 86 16 S. Ducasse - Inria 40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650 France _______________________________________________ Esug-list mailing list Esug-list@lists.esug.org<mailto:Esug-list@lists.esug.org> http://lists.esug.org/mailman/listinfo/esug-list_lists.esug.org -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel mailto:jtuchel@objektfabrik.de Fliederweg 1 http://www.objektfabrik.de D-71640 Ludwigsburg http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0 Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1
NR
Niall Ross
Mon, May 18, 2020 3:21 PM

Dear Stéphane,
I imagine you were reaching the point where go/no-go decisions
regarding committing to expenditure were being made.  I know how
nerve-wracking that can be.

I expected to spend all two weeks of Christmas holiday 2010 agonising
over a vital accomodation decision I knew I had to make at the start of
January 2011.  But instead of spending two weeks worrying, I spent those
two weeks ill with flue, not thinking about anything much. :-)  I
recovered just in time to commit - and decided to live boldly because
I had no time to think about it.  (And it was the right decision -
enough people came.)

So that really bad bout of flue saved me from two weeks of needless
worrying  - worrying that might have ended in an overcautious decision. :-)

I sympathise that your experience of disease today is less happy.  A bug
spared me two weeks of worry over ESUG.  Now I guess another disease has
given you and the local organisers much more than two weeks of worrying.

I hope (and largely expect) that things will be up and running again in
August.  But things would have to be up and running now for people to
buy attendance, make reservations, buy hotel rooms ...  Sadly, I can
understand why you decided as you did.

Meanwhile, I'm getting to attend the online UK STUGs more often that I
could get to London to attend the in-person ones.  And most of us have
nothing to complain of, compared to those who cannot work remotely.

         Till next year
               Niall Ross

[...]

Dear Stéphane, I imagine you were reaching the point where go/no-go decisions regarding committing to expenditure were being made. I know how nerve-wracking that can be. I expected to spend all two weeks of Christmas holiday 2010 agonising over a vital accomodation decision I knew I had to make at the start of January 2011. But instead of spending two weeks worrying, I spent those two weeks ill with flue, not thinking about anything much. :-) I recovered _just_ in time to commit - and decided to live boldly because I had no time to think about it. (And it was the right decision - enough people came.) So that really bad bout of flue saved me from two weeks of needless worrying - worrying that might have ended in an overcautious decision. :-) I sympathise that your experience of disease today is less happy. A bug spared me two weeks of worry over ESUG. Now I guess another disease has given you and the local organisers much more than two weeks of worrying. I hope (and largely expect) that things will be up and running again in August. But things would have to be up and running _now_ for people to buy attendance, make reservations, buy hotel rooms ... Sadly, I can understand why you decided as you did. Meanwhile, I'm getting to attend the online UK STUGs more often that I could get to London to attend the in-person ones. And most of us have nothing to complain of, compared to those who cannot work remotely. Till next year Niall Ross > Dear happy smalltalking people, > > After several analyses the board in concertation with the local > organisers decided to cancel ESUG in 2020. > It was not an easy decision but we believe it has to be taken. > We plan to organise it next year in the same place. > > For IWST the PC chair will announce some dates because we would like > to run it. > > S. on the behalf of the ESUG board. > > I hope that you and your friends and family are safe. > > -------------------------------------------- > Stéphane Ducasse > http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org > 03 59 35 87 52 > Assistant: Julie Jonas > FAX 03 59 57 78 50 > TEL 03 59 35 86 16 > S. Ducasse - Inria > 40, avenue Halley, > Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza > Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650 > France > >------------------------------------------------------------------------ > >_______________________________________________ >Esug-list mailing list >Esug-list@lists.esug.org >http://lists.esug.org/mailman/listinfo/esug-list_lists.esug.org > >