[Esug-list] [Pharo-users] [ann] gtspotter: a moldable interface for spotting objects

Johan Fabry jfabry at dcc.uchile.cl
Sun Dec 7 08:52:04 EST 2014

Hola,

Andrei demoed it to me on friday and it is *extremely* cool. I can’t wait to start using it for my next development session.

I have one request though (as I already mentioned to Andrei). Since you are using a significant part of the screen, it would not be costly to (e.g. at the bottom) put a small legend of the non-obvious keystroke combinations. It would greatly increase discoverability of the features of the tool.

Considering the blog post, the legend would be ( I don’t understand the difference between the last 2):
Cmd+Shift+ArrowUp/ArrowDown = Next/Prev category, Cmd+RightArrow = Dive into, Cmd+Shift+RightArrow = ???

> On Dec 7, 2014, at 10:14, Tudor Girba <tudor at tudorgirba.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Alex Syrel, Andrei Chis and I are happy to announce a new addition to the Glamorous Toolkit:
> GTSpotter, a novel interface for spotting objects.
>
> GTSpotter has two goals:
> - Provide a uniform yet moldable interface that can work on any object, and
> - Handle searching through arbitrary levels of object nesting.
>
> We think this will have a significant impact on the development workflow in Pharo.
>
> Here is a couple of screenshots:
> <gtspotter-packages-classes.png> <gtspotter-dive-class-method-sender.png> <gtspotter-playground.png>
>

> A trailer is available here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhSmjR3NOlU
>
> A detailed description is available here:
> http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/introducing-gtspotter
>
> It works already in Pharo 3.0 and can be played with by following the instructions from:
> http://gt.moosetechnology.org
>
> Please let us know what you think.
>
> Enjoy,
> The Glamorous Team

PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile