[Esug-list] GSoC Project Proposal: Morphic for Amber, Looking for mentor

Matthias Springer me at matthiasspringer.de
Sun Apr 28 11:19:11 EDT 2013

>> In my opinion, one of the biggest advantages of Amber is that you don't need
>> any particular web server or backend. A web browser is everything you need
>> and the whole Smalltalk VM is running in the web browser (it's also much
>> easier to set up). I'm also wondering whether remote rendering is fast
>> enough. You need to talk to the server on every event (mouse click, mouse
>> move (this is really expensive), keyboard, ...) and every primitive you
>> render must be sent to the client.
> yes, and in that regard,  http://gsoc2013.esug.org/projects/athens-html5-canvas
> is way better alternative.

OK, I'm getting the feeling that it's probably best to implement a
proper HTML Canvas rendering engine (Athens) first and build a
Morphic(-like) framework (e.g. the morphs from Cuis) on top of that
afterwards. Having a good architecture is more important to me than
getting results as fast as possible.

--
Matthias Springer * me at matthiasspringer.de * +49-1577-3814255
Student B.Sc. IT-Systems Engineering (Hasso-Plattner-Institut)