[Esug-list] GSoC Project Proposal: Morphic for Amber, Looking for mentor

Juan Vuletich (mail lists) juanlists at jvuletich.org
Sun Apr 28 09:54:49 EDT 2013

Hi Sean,

Quoting "Sean P. DeNigris" <sean at clipperadams.com>:

> Matthias Springer wrote
>> Regardless of whether you would be willing to participate as a mentor,
>> I'd like to know if this project is something you're interested in and
>> what features are most important for you.
>
> This is a /fantastic/ proposal. I am extremely interested in having the
> ability to write a non-standard Morphic UI and have it show up in a webpage
> without any extra work.

Please see my response to Matthias' original message. The possibility
of writing non-standard Morphic UIs and running them in Amber would
depend on the approach taken. I don't see it possible if doing it in
html. Something closer to morphic.js and Lively Kernel would be needed.

Besides, the best (and esiest) way to do what you want is what I
suggest to Matthias: Use a Smalltalk Morphic server (better yet if it
is Cuis / Morphic 3), and a remote Amber morphic canvas. Something
like a Morphic specific VNC client done in Amber + Canvas.

> In fact, that would be amazing! I'm also interested
> in your idea for another important reason... Morphic is a mess!! What would
> be great is if you focus on the required behavior without copying too much
> of the implementation details. In this way, hopefully, we could backport
> your clean implementation into Morphic and benefit from fresh eyes. I would
> be happy to mentor as I'm more familiar with Morphic than I ever wanted to
> be ;) But what would be /great/ is if you could hook up with Juan Vuletich
> and pitch it to him. He did a rewrite of Morphic a while back and would be
> an invaluable resource. Even if he can consult, it would be a huge help.

I'd be really happy to help. To what extent I can do it depends on the
chosen path. The closer Matthias goes to my preferred path, the more I
can help :)