[Esug-list] GSoC Project Proposal: Morphic for Amber, Looking for mentor

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Apr 27 03:28:23 EDT 2013

Hi Matthias,

Very good proposal indeed, specially combined with all proposed project
over Spec - a declarative specification and builder for UI, both desktop
and web. Also in Aida/Web we are looking for further enhancements on
that field and if Morphic way of UI building happens to be the superior
way, we will also adapt it.

I therefore propose that you prepare a project proposal ASAP, following
the template other projects are. Send it to me and I'll add it to our
GSoC site. Other half of your proposal then put into a proposal page
after you express an interest on your own project, being invited, etc.

About mentorship, I can be a second mentor, dealing with all web stuff,
while I don't know much about Morphic. But it seems you are quite
knowledgeable of it already? Nico will certainly help too with Amber stuff.

One recommendation: try to stay independent of any outside JS library as
much as possible. For instance, you don't need jQuery nowadays for DOM
and event management because recent browsers have quite decent support
for that. Even that resulting code can be without jQuery a bit uglier,
you are not dependent of jQuery fate. I know that from my own experience
being trapped once into dependence to a Prototype, predecessor of
jQuery, which is nowadays practically defunct...

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek