[Esug-list] ESUG SummerTalk - Fuel, binary object serializer

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:16:12 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:

> At Sun, 29 May 2011 20:52:45 +0200,
> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >     At Sat, 28 May 2011 09:33:27 +0200,
> >     Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> >     >
> >     > Yoshiki
> >     >
> >     > if you want to help testing, improving fuel you are welcome.
> >     > The idea is to make it fast fast fast without vm support.
> >
> >      Yeah.  The reason for example I went to pad data to 4 bytes
> >
> > What do you mean by padding data to 4 bytes?  I don't understand :(
>
>   Say a string has length of 5 ('abcde'), the data in file for it
> would be "97 98 99 100 101 0 0 0".

Sorry but I don't understand then how that is related to "The reason for
example I went to pad data to 4 bytes was that
there may be a clever trick I may be able to do to read data into
arrays "directly" and stuff, but did not get around implementing it."

>  >     was that
> >     there may be a clever trick I may be able to do to read data into
> >     arrays "directly" and stuff,
> >
> > what do you mean by that?  like ImageSegment does?  I mean, include also
> object headers in the stream and then avoid to recreate objects (using
> #basicNew) ?
>
>   Not like ImageSegment, but more like #hackBits: reading from file
> into a string object of right size.

I am not sure if I understand. For some kind of objects (those that are
variable) we  store first its size and then at materialization time we
directly create an object of that size using #basicNew:

but I guess you are talking about something else.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com