[Esug-list] Proposal for Mock Objects at ESUG 2011

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue May 31 08:43:43 EDT 2011

Hey!

Stumbled into this thread but just HAVE to respond... Snipping heavily here:

On 05/27/2011 11:11 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
> without them. It's just *mocks* that are mostly unnecessary.

Amen! I have been thinking the rest of the world had gone mad...

> Personally, I find that mocks are *very* useful in a few very specific
> situations, but they can cause problems it other situations. They're
> like a very specialized tool - invaluable when you need it, but kept
> in the bottom of the toolbox and not used very often.

Right.

[SNIP of good stuff]
> I know that BDD folks like to talk about testing behaviour rather than
> state, but I don't find the distinction useful. Testing state breaks
> the encapsulation of the objects under test, and couples the test too
> closely to their internal implementation. Testing behaviour using
> mocks *does the same thing*; it just restricts the implementation in a
> different way.

So refreshingly to see someone that *also* notes that testing using
mocks actually break encapsulation. Thank you, thank you...

regards, Göran