[Esug-list] ESUG SummerTalk - Fuel, binary object serializer

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Mon May 30 04:25:25 EDT 2011

> The problem to compare ObjectDumper is that we need to be able to run
> both in the same Dialect/VM. Otherwise the difference of the dialect
> or VM can change the results a lot.

That's true.

> Sorry for the offtopic but is there an easy way to install GNU
> Smalltalk in a Mac OS 10.6.7 ?

With 3.2.4 and MacPorts it should be easy.  You need to install the
libsigsegv port first.  It may not work right away if your compiler
doesn't look in MacPorts paths.  You can preempt the issue with an extra
option to the configure script:

  ./configure --with-system-libsigsegv=/opt/local/lib --prefix=/opt/local
  make
  sudo make install

(or /opt/local/lib64, I don't know :)).

ObjectDumper should be easy to port to Pharo.  Something like

gst-convert -f gst -F squeak /opt/local/smalltalk/kernel/ObjDumper.st |
   tr '\n' '\r' > objdumper.sq

should be a good start.  Check out category "private - binary I/O",
that's where changes might be made.  The resulting streams should be
portable between dialects, though I've never tried.

Testcases are old so they have not been converted to SUnit, but I'm sure
someone in the GNU Smalltalk community can help. :>

Lastly, it was written entirely by me, so I can relicense parts of it if
required.  Contact me off-list if you are interested.

HTH,

Paolo