[Esug-list] ESUG SummerTalk - Fuel, binary object serializer

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Sun May 29 15:07:40 EDT 2011

At Sun, 29 May 2011 20:52:45 +0200,
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
>
>     At Sat, 28 May 2011 09:33:27 +0200,
>     Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>     >
>     > Yoshiki
>     >
>     > if you want to help testing, improving fuel you are welcome.
>     > The idea is to make it fast fast fast without vm support.
>
>      Yeah.  The reason for example I went to pad data to 4 bytes
>
> What do you mean by padding data to 4 bytes?  I don't understand :(

  Say a string has length of 5 ('abcde'), the data in file for it
would be "97 98 99 100 101 0 0 0".

>     was that
>     there may be a clever trick I may be able to do to read data into
>     arrays "directly" and stuff,
>
> what do you mean by that?  like ImageSegment does?  I mean, include also object headers in the stream and then avoid to recreate objects (using #basicNew) ?

  Not like ImageSegment, but more like #hackBits: reading from file
into a string object of right size.  For pointer arrays and actual
literal fields, I am not sure I can apply this however.

  I would not put object headers, as you would agree^^;

-- Yoshiki