[Esug-list] ESUG SummerTalk - Fuel, binary object serializer

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri May 27 18:37:08 EDT 2011

At Thu, 26 May 2011 16:45:38 -0300,
Martin Dias wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
>
>         BTW, the page (http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel)
>         says:
>
>         Gofer new
>                squeaksource: 'Fuel';
>                package: 'ConfigurationOfFuel';
>                load.
>         ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project =latestVersion) load: #(Core Tests Benchmarks).
>
>         it does not appear to be a valid expression.  What is the right
>         expression?
>
>     the =
>
> Hi!
> Sorry, now it is fixed.

  Thanks!  I tried it a bit and I'm officially impressed with its
performancce ^^;

  I had a simple serializer/materializer that only handles class
definitions and compiled methods (and initialization of classes).  But
Fuel seems faster than that for a factor of two or so for reading
methods.  (Mine was more on simplicity so it has only a few methods
and does some slow way to read sized-strings, as well as generous 4
byte padding.  It does make difference when it comes to performance.)

-- Yoshiki