[Esug-list] Fwd: Re: Proposal for Mock Objects at ESUG 2011

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Fri May 27 16:05:21 EDT 2011

Hi Frank,

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

> You miss the point of mocks. Mocks are there to allow you to test your
> code quickly and cheaply against things that may not work in a quick
> manner.

well, not really, I mean 23.000 tests in 7 minutes I think is quick enough
:-)
I'm not saying mocks are not important, but I think sometimes they are
overused, that's all.

> Further, they allow you to isolate yourself from external systems. If
> you need a database running for your tests to pass, you are not unit
> testing, but integration testing. You do need to do both, but they
> serve different purposes.

I agree, and I think I mentioned that... we use test doubles (not only
mocks) for those types of tests.

> Lastly, mocks document the protocols your objects use to collaborate
> with each other. They are much more than post-fact assertions.

I don't understand this... why would I use mocks to document protocolos if I
alredy have the real objects with their protocol and the tests documenting
them with concrete examples?

> Someone's already mentioned the excellent Growing Object Oriented
> Systems Guided by Tests (Tim wrote the afterword for it).

yeah... but I don't like too much what they proposed is that book :-) (I
told that to Tim :-)) but that is another story :-)

> My two cents? We have at least the beginnings of a framework inside
> SSpec, a project which dearly needs some love and attention. It's
> globally writable so contributing to it is easy.
>
> In particular, when next I get a chance - hopefully this next month -
> I'd like to address some of its quirks, split SSpec's DSL from the
> mocking library, integrate SSpec into TestRunner (or at least make the
> expectations runnable from TestRunner), and make sure the
> TextTestRunner still works.
>
> What I don't want to see is everyone publishing their own incompatible
> frameworks or, just as bad, noone doing anything because "oh we don't
> need mocks". We do need them, and we need a well-implemented
> feature-complete cross-dialect framework.

hey, I'm not saying this should not be done, just only I don't see mocks as
important as some people see them, that's all.
I'd like to have a "well-implemented feature-complete cross-dialect
framework" mock model of course.

Bye!
Hernan.

site: http://www.10Pines.com <http://www.10pines.com/>*