[Esug-list] ESUG SummerTalk - Fuel, binary object serializer

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu May 26 14:13:06 EDT 2011

At Thu, 26 May 2011 09:51:00 +0200,
Marcus Denker wrote:

> On May 25, 2011, at 7:35 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>
> > At Wed, 25 May 2011 15:28:00 +0200,
> > Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> >>
> >> One of the most important uses we want to do with Fuel (in a future) is to be able to use it for Monticello (to replace mzc).
> >> The idea in addition is to be able to boostrap a really small pharo image (hetzel) and be able to load stuff without needing a compiler.
> >
> >  Sounds interesting!  Can I learn about "hetzel" somewhere?
> >
> We are working on how to build minimal Pharo kernels (with the goal of a declarative bootstrap so you can build your own
> version of Smalltalk running in the normal Pharo image to experiment with new language features, as one example, or
> create a minimal image for deployment).
>
> There is some information from Nicolas Paez who worked on this when visiting RMOD last year:
>
> http://www.fast.org.ar/smalltalks2010/videos/Seed+project%3A+The+challenge+of+creating+a+Smalltalk+kernel
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/archives/talks/2010-Smalltalks-Paez-Seed.pdf
>
> The status is that we learned a lot and continue to work on it... more to come later ;-)

  Yay!

   Declarative bootstrap is good.  MicroSqueak is mostly classes and
code with a bit of setup, so I thought if the tracer
(MicroSqueakImageBuilder) takes somewhat different format but
essentially with the same information, you can build an image and then
whatever code loader that can load Compiler, you can get to a working
state.  But as you say, there must be details and I'm all curious to
learn also!

-- Yoshiki