[Esug-list] ESUG SummerTalk - Fuel, binary object serializer

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Thu May 26 03:51:00 EDT 2011

On May 25, 2011, at 7:35 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> At Wed, 25 May 2011 15:28:00 +0200,
> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>> One of the most important uses we want to do with Fuel (in a future) is to be able to use it for Monticello (to replace mzc).
>> The idea in addition is to be able to boostrap a really small pharo image (hetzel) and be able to load stuff without needing a compiler.
>
>  Sounds interesting!  Can I learn about "hetzel" somewhere?

We are working on how to build minimal Pharo kernels (with the goal of a declarative bootstrap so you can build your own
version of Smalltalk running in the normal Pharo image to experiment with new language features, as one example, or
create a minimal image for deployment).

There is some information from Nicolas Paez who worked on this when visiting RMOD last year:

http://www.fast.org.ar/smalltalks2010/videos/Seed+project%3A+The+challenge+of+creating+a+Smalltalk+kernel
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/archives/talks/2010-Smalltalks-Paez-Seed.pdf

The status is that we learned a lot and continue to work on it... more to come later ;-)

	Marcus

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.