[Esug-list] ESUG SummerTalk - Fuel, binary object serializer

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed May 25 09:32:04 EDT 2011

>> > - Correctly support class reshape (when the class of serialized objects
>> has
>> > changed).
>>
>> So what do you do when an instance variable was added? Set it to nil
>> and hope that everything will continue to work?
>>
> Of course.  One might hope that the developer that added an instance
> variable to a system which had existing instanciated objects would provide
> suitable lazy initialization as needed.  There is no magic.

Exactly. Read the answer I have just send.

>> > - Serialize ANY kind of object. For the moment there is no object to our
>> > knowledge that we cannot serialize and materialize.
>>
>> Really? You serialize Socket, Process, FileStream and something
>> meaningful happens?

Again, no magic.  One would hope an interface object that became detached
> from it's service would know how to reattach.

Exactly. Ideally, a class will be able to implement
#prepareToBeSerializer and #postMaterializationAction
or stuff like that. So, what we want to provide is the infrastructure, the
hooks.

Then, we shoud identify those base classes that MUST have something like
that like the cases pointed out by  Philippe
For example, the same happes with Set and Dictionaries. They have to be
rehashes once they are materialized.

> ttfn, Steve
> --
> Steve Cline  cline at acm.org http://www.clines.org
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevecline
> "Do what's right, and try to get along with people, in that order"
> - Ezra Taft Benson

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com